March Madness - Napoleon Dynamite (animated series)

Labels: , , , ,



I was intrigued when I saw the trailer for Napoleon Dynamite the animated series on the Comedy Channel. I was a huge, huge fan of the movie and was surprised that it had taken so long to develop an animated series.

Imagine my disappointment when I sat through a whole episode without so much as a smile or a raised eyebrow. I even hopped off the couch to make a cheese sandwich! I found the program tired, lame, uneventful and it made me think about what I loved in the original movie and what was missing here. What made that movie a success was the awkwardness felt in certain moments, the vacant looks on Napoleons face, the glances of frustration and disappointment from Kip and the classic, quirky, terrible outfits worn by the cast (including the American flag parachute pants worn by Rex-Kwon-Do).

For me, none of these details which were so integral to the movie can ever be conveyed through such two dimensional animation, and alas as much as I loved Napoleon Dynamite the time has come and gone for this movie and the audience has moved on. It would be like bringing out an Austin Powers animated series and trying to get the world to say ‘yeah baby’ again. It just wouldn’t work.

Review by JoAnn Duff

0 comments:

Post a Comment